Current:Home > ContactBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -FinanceMind
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 12:11:11
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (37)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Why Lena Dunham Feels Protective of Taylor Swift
- Tour de France standings, results: Belgium's Jasper Philipsen prevails in Stage 10
- Ex-Browns QB Bernie Kosar reveals Parkinson's, liver disease diagnoses
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Everything Marvel has in the works, from 'Agatha All Along' to 'Deadpool & Wolverine'
- Target will stop accepting personal checks next week. Are the days of the payment method numbered?
- Joe Bonsall, celebrated tenor in the country and gospel group the Oak Ridge Boys, dies at 76
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- ‘This is break glass in case of emergency stuff': Analysts alarmed by threats to US data gathering
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Mishandled bodies, mixed-up remains prompt tougher funeral home regulations
- Imagine Dragons' Dan Reynolds talks 'harm' of Mormonism, relationship with family
- US track and field Olympic team announced. See the full roster
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Climbers in Malibu find abandoned German Shepherd with zip ties around mouth, neck
- Ukraine says at least 31 people killed, children's hospital hit in major Russian missile attack
- Manhattan prosecutors anticipate November retrial for Harvey Weinstein in #MeToo era rape case
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Dan Hurley contract details as UConn coach signs new six-year, $50 million contract
Inside Pregnant Gypsy Rose Blanchard and Ken Urker's Road to Baby
Can a shark swim up a river? Yes, and it happens more than you may think
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Target says it will soon stop accepting personal checks from customers. Here's why.
Georgia slave descendants submit signatures to fight zoning changes they say threaten their homes
Over 2,000 pounds of Al-Safa frozen chicken products recalled for listeria risk